Nothing puts a halt to summer fun like swarming mosquitos around a swimming pool or a line of ants marching across an outdoor picnic. Keep the critters at bay with the following pest control tips:
For the Home
- One of the first lines of defense for your home is checking for entryways. Repair holes in window screens, caulk gaps around windows and doors and make sure your thresholds are flush with the door slab to keep pests from sneaking in underneath.
- Coffee grounds make an excellent deterrent since most insects can’t stand the scent. Sprinkle it around the perimeter of your home to keep pests from finding their way inside.
- Keep your kitchen clean and tidy to avoid attracting ants, cockroaches, and other indoor nuisances. Take the garbage out regularly, wipe down the countertops, sweep the floor, and always keep food out of sight.
- Carefully inspect hotel rooms and vacation rentals to avoid a bedbug infestation. Pull back the bedsheets and mattress cover and check for excrement and/or small bloodstains, which can signal bedbugs. Treat immediately to avoid bringing these pests back to your home.
- If there are toys that belong outside, then keep them outside and vice versa with inside toys.
For the Yard
- Mosquitos are attracted to standing water, so inspect your yard often for culprits, like leaks around the A/C unit and drain pipes. Get rid of stagnant water in flowerpots, buckets, and all toys and furniture kept outside.
- A well-maintained yard will keep it from becoming a breeding ground for pests like snakes and mice. Trim trees and bushes beside the house, do away with weeds and overgrowth and clear any debris since this is where snakes tend to hide while looking for rodents.
- Don’t toss the meat into your outside trash bin until the day before or day of garbage pickup. The combination of summer heat and rotting meat will bring many unwanted pests into your yard.
- Store firewood away from your home to keep termites from entering. The minimum distance is five feet, but you’ll decrease your chance of termite infestation even more if you store it farther away and preferably in a metal rack off the ground.
Even though there are numerous pest repellents available on the market today, there are certain situations that require a professional. Do your homework, and if the task seems too overwhelming or complex, don’t be afraid to hire a pest control service. Lola’s Landscape has decades of experience in pest control, lawn care, landscape design, and more to have your yard in it’s the best condition in time for summer! Give us a call for your consultation today at 774-248-4584