When we perform the dethatching process in the spring, we typically follow seven steps. These seven steps with have your lawn looking good again in no time! Let’s go over these steps together:
- We check for excessive clippings, cuttings and stems that build up over time. There are usually a lot more of this debris after a long cold winter, quite like the one we just had! We literally get down to eye level with the grass to see if the buildup is more than an inch.
- The way your grass grows healthy and green is when sunlight and water has easy access to the soil. But when there is thick thatch covering up the soil, the sun and water has no way to reach the soil; so when we perform dethatching, your lawn will get the nutrition it needs to grow healthy. In some extreme cases, we have to rip at the lawn in order to get the thatch out, which can cause your lawn to look a little rough for a little while; but once the sunlight and water hits that soil, your grass will begin to look brand new again!
- We usually take a thick rake, with tough tines, and really hit the thatch hard. After we use the rake, we are able to pull out the thatch. When doing this, you have to be careful not to pull out the grass.
- If that doesn’t work, we have a dethatching blade that will tear up all that disgusting debris.
- Typically we like to water the lawn the day before we perform our dethatching services. When you call us up and request a dethatching job, we might have to inspect your lawn first, and see if it needs to be watered before we begin the process.
- When using the dethatching blade, we only go each area of grass one time; when doing this we have to be very careful not to hit the soil. The soil must be left untouched, as it plays a vital role in the health of your grass.
- Finally, after we get all the thatch from your soil, we take a regular rake and clean up all the debris, leaves and thatch we dug up.
Dethatching is a long process, but a process that will help create a healthy, greener looking lawn. If you are interested in our services, please give us a call at 774-248-4584.